Skip to content

Important announcement – please read carefully.

Effective January 7, 2021, at 12:01 a.m. EST, all air passengers, including international students, will be required to test negative for COVID-19 before travelling from another country to Canada. For more information on this new travel condition, see Pre-departure COVID-19 testing and negative results to be required for all air travellers coming to Canada

In response to the City of Toronto's lockdown, Humber's International Centre offices are closed for in-person visits and phone services until further notice. To contact us online, please use our Contact Form

Students can find a complete list of programs with downloads including program and course details at Current Student Resources

For information on which services on campus remain open, please monitor Humber Updates

We will continue to process applications for upcoming intakes. Current approximate application processing time is approximately six weeks. Please check Humber Updates for the most up-to-date information. Please also check Humber Colleges and Humber Global’s social media accounts.

Planning to begin your studies at Humber? Here's what you need to know about study permits, refunds, and post-graduation work permits

If you have any questions, we will respond as soon as possible, please get in touch by using this Contact Form

Humber College's COVID-19 Readiness Plan Approved

  • Working student


Are You Considering Working While Studying in Canada?

Confirm that your study permit is valid* for postsecondary studies and verify that your study permit allows you to work on or off campus. For more information, see the Government of Canada website:

You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student during an academic session.)

Apply for a Co-op Work Permit

A co-op work permit is required if your program has a mandatory co-op, internship, or work placement component. See the Government of Canada website and find more information here.

A co-op work permit only allows students to perform worked required for their program of study. It is not valid for other off-campus work. 

How Do I Get a Social Insurance Number? (SIN)

You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs. You must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit in order to apply for a SIN for off-campus work:

  • “May work 20 hours/week off-campus or fulltime during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) or IPRP.”
  • “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting criteria eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w).”
  • “Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.”

If your study permit does not have one of the above conditions or remarks, you must submit a request for an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN. There is no fee for this request.

If your study permit has: “This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada” printed on it and you have changed your program of study, you must apply to change the conditions of your study permit and pay the applicable fee.

Visit the Government of Canada website for more information.

*View the eligibility and requirements for applying for a Study Permit here.

Find a Job in Canada

International students can visit the Humber Career Centre to see job postings and for help with resumé writing, cover letter reviews, and mock job interviews.


If you have further questions: attend a study permit workshop or contact an International Student Advisor.