Skip to content

When Should I Be Travelling to Canada

We are recommending that students travel to Canada 2-3 weeks before their classes begin to give sufficient time to prepare the start of the semester. If you arrive more than a month before classes, you may be refused entry by the Border Services Officer. If you come during a break and well before the next semester begins, you may be refused entry. For more information, please visit:

As you prepare to come to Canada, please download iCent App NOW (Google Play or App Store)

icent login steps

Preparing for Arrival

Beginning January 5, 2022, Air travellers two years of age and older arriving on flights originating from the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong or Macao will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test before departing for Canada, taken no more than 2 days before their departure to the airline to board their flight.

The Government of Canada also reminds travellers to make informed decisions when considering travel outside of Canada to protect their health and safety. They are encouraged to review the travel advice at for more information on safe travel.

Canadians can continue to do their part to protect themselves and others, and reduce the spread of COVID-19, by getting vaccinated and boosted, using high quality and well-fitted masks where appropriate, self-isolating if they have symptoms and self-testing if they can.

Items You Need on the Plane

When you arrive at the airport or port of entry you should be ready to present the following documents. Make sure you pack them in your carryon bag and not in your check-in bag:

  • Original Humber Letter of Acceptance
  • Humber Co-op Letter (only if you have a placement in your program)
  • A passport, valid for the duration of your stay 
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or eTA
  • Letter of Introduction (approval letter issued by the Canadian Embassy)
  • Humber Letter of Support (for travel to Canada during COVID-19)
  • Proof of funds for the duration of your stay in Canada
  • Proof you have paid your deposit to Humber. You will find your receipt by checking MyHumber under Student Account.
  • Any other documents you used when you applied for your Study Permit
  • Face masks (minimum of 2 recommended) which cover your mouth and nose
  • One bottle of hand sanitizer up to 355 ml in addition to 100 ml bottles to be placed in a 1 L clear resealable bag
  • Food/Snacks and water (check with your airline regarding whether or not they will have any food available in-flight)
  • Disinfecting wipes
  • Gloves (not necessary, but you may wish to bring some)

Based on the documents you present, the border officer will assess you and make a decision to issue your Study Permit.

If you have a placement in your program, you may present the Co-op Letter to the border officer and request to issue a Co-op Work Permit in addition to your Study Permit.

More information from the CATSA/ACTSA website available here.

Required Downloads

The following is required to download for Humber students:

iCent app for iOS and Android

Please check that these apps are working properly on your phone before you arrive.