Skip to content

Important announcement – please read carefully.

The International Centre is open, and our hours of operation for Humber North, Humber Lakeshore and the Humber International Graduate School are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday. Our phone lines are also operational.

North and Lakeshore: Walk-ins to see our International Student Advisors are available 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday. If you would like to have a virtual call instead, please use this Contact Form to make an appointment.

IGS: Students can use the IGS portal to ask a question/book an appointment with advisors.

The Return to Campus microsite provides important information, health and safety measures, and resources for individuals coming to campus.

Students can find a complete list of programs with downloads including program and course details at Current Student Resources

Planning to begin your studies at Humber? Here's what you need to know about study permits, refunds, and post-graduation work permits. Current approximate application processing time is approximately ten weeks.

If you have any questions please get in touch by using this Contact Form. Please check Humber Updates for the most up-to-date information. Please also check Humber College’s and Humber Global’s social media accounts.

Humber College's COVID-19 Readiness Plan Approved

  • Smiling student


Due to the pandemic, there are temporary measures in place that may impact the applications policy and process. The information on our website is based on normal situations and for applications made from inside Canada. For the most recent update, please visit IRCC website:

The website was prepared by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Immigration laws and procedures change frequently, and so the requirements and procedure for applying for your Co-op work permit may have changed. This page was updated on July 01, 2022. This page is intended for students of Humber College; the information contained herein may not be applicable to students at other academic institutions.


Some programs require a mandatory paid/unpaid internship or work placement as part of the academic curriculum. International students in these programs must apply for a co-op work permit as well as a study permit.

If work is integral to your program of study, you are required to have a co-op work permit before you start your work. Your co-op work permit will list “Humber College” as your employer; this work permit still allows you to work for external employers. Your co-op work permit is only valid for the mandatory hours to fulfill your approved co-op requirements.

When applying for the initial study permit, if you have a mandatory work placement, please apply for your co-op work permit at the same time. Students can find the co-op letter in the offer letter. IRCC may issue both study permit and co-op work permit to you when you enter Canada. If you did not apply for a co-op work permit overseas, you should apply for it upon arrival in Canada as soon as possible as processing time can take several months. Click on the following Apply Now button for instructions.


Apply with a co-op letter from Humber that is no more than 4 months old.

Application Form:

Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay Or Remain In Canada As A Worker (IMM5710)

Designated Learning Institution #: 

  • Humber (North, Lakeshore, International Graduate School): “O19376943122”
  • Guelph Humber “O19305391192”

IRCC Call Centre #: 


Required Documents

From Humber:

  • Co-op letter (check your email account, the co-op letter is included in the Offer Letter); if you do not have a letter, request a copy from the International Centre, request it through the International Contact Form

Request via your MyHumber Account (Student Records section)

  • Confirmation of enrolment letter (use the letter from your current or the most recent semester); verify that the expected graduation date is correct. If the expected graduation date is missing or incorrect, please contact us through the International Contact Form
  • Official transcript (available only if you have completed at least one semester). Students have the option to request the transcript by mail or by MyCreds.

IRCC requirement: additional documents may be required

  • Copy of your passport (including the personal information page, any pages with stamps, visas or markings), study permit and your current co-op work permit if you have one
  • Family Information Form (IMM5707) if it appears on document checklist
  • Proof of available funds (e.g. bank statement from the person paying for your studies) to cover the cost of tuition fees and living expenses ONLY required if applying for study permit extension simultaneously
  • Digital photo required for online applications 


Basic Overview


Online Application Procedure


Paper Application Procedure


Basic Overview

  • Go to IRCC website; click language preference button
  • Click on the “Immigration” drop-down menu; chose “Study” from the drop-down menu
  • Click “Work while studying”, then "Work as a co-op student or intern"

Summary of Application Procedure

  • Applications should be submitted online. Paper option is only for students who have a disability or if you have technical difficulties completing the online form
  • Complete application form IMM 5710; depending on your computer’s operating system you may have to click on hyperlink and download the form to your computer’s desktop to open document
  • Gather supporting documents (scan documents if applying online)
  • Create MyCIC account; required for online applications; platform to upload application form & documents; check messages
  • Submit application for processing; if you submit an online application, monitor the email account you specified on your application (including spam and junk folders) in case IRCC has a query about your application; these messages are time sensitive


Online Application Procedure

Create a MyCIC Account (required for online applications)

  • Create account using Sign in Partner or GC Key
    • Sign in Partner allows you to register for MyCIC account using online banking information for listed financial institutions
    • GCKey requires a user ID and password; create security questions; record this information so you do not forget
  • Once you have created your account, log-in and scroll down to Apply to come to Canada
  • On the same page you will see previous applications or the application you are currently working on
  • In the next page, enter the personal reference code generated from eligibility questionnaire if you have one. If you don’t have one, scroll down to “Determine your eligibility and apply online”, click “Visitor visa, study and/or work permit”, and then complete the questionnaire
  • Submit application; then you will receive a submission confirmation letter of the application in your account
  • Check your personal (including junk and spam folders) and MyCIC account messages for updates related to your application 


Paper Application Procedure

  • Refer to the application instructions 
  • Complete application, gather accompanying forms; sign and date application; make a copy for your records
  • Use Canada Post Xpress Post or other courier company to track delivery of application package

Courier package to:

Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada
c/o Student Work Permits/New Employer, Station 555
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3



Tips for Applying ONLINE

(requires completion of eligibility questionnaire AND creating a MyCIC account)

  • Go to “Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?” questionnaire
  • If you have questions click in the "?" mark or hyperlink for an explanation.
  • What would you like to do in Canada? Work
  • How long are you planning to stay in Canada? Temporarily – more than 6 months
  • What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
  • Family Member questions: Click on hyperlink for definition of a family member.
  • Do you plan to work on campus? No
  • Are you a full-time student at a participating post-secondary institution and want to work off-campus up to 20 hours per week? No
  • Have you recently graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution for which your study program was full-time and a minimum of eight months? No
  • Is your work an essential part of your studies (for example, a Co-Op or internship program)? Yes
  • No, this job offer is not the same as your co-op job offer
  • On the "Your results" page select "Co-op (in Canada)"; if "Temporary Resident Visa" appears, students who require a TRV apply for a new one AFTER they receive their new study permit.
  • Do you also want to apply for a study permit? Answer yes if you intend to submit a study permit application, otherwise answer no.
  • Have you had a medical exam performed by a IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months? Yes or no. 
  • Do you want to work in one of the following jobs?  Yes or no. Students working in these fields require medical clearance. 
  • Review your answers; To modify responses click on the “pencil & eraser” icon 
  • "Working in Canada – Your personal document checklist"; Record your personal reference code; scroll to bottom of page for the link to the application form IMM5710 and list of required supporting documents 
  • Upload application and documents using your MyCIC account.
Creating/Using your MyCIC account:
  • Create account using Sign in Partner or GC Key
    • Sign in Partner allows you to register for MyCIC account using online banking information for listed financial institutions
    • GCKey requires a user ID and password; create security questions; record this information so you do not forget
  • Once you have created your account, log-in and scroll down to Apply to come to Canada
  • On the same page you will see previous applications or the application you are currently working on
  • In the next page, enter the personal reference code generated from eligibility questionnaire if you have one. If you don’t have one, scroll down to “Determine your eligibility and apply online”, click “Visitor visa, study and/or work permit”, and then complete the questionnaire
  • Pay application fee and biometrics fee if applicable. If you only apply for co-op work permit application, the application fee is $0
  • Submit application; then you will receive a submission confirmation letter of the application in your account
  • Check your MyCIC account messages for updates related to your application


  • What if my study permit expires during my work placement?
    • As a student it is mandatory that you maintain your status in Canada, therefore you must extend your study permit and request a co-op work permit at that the same time
    • If IRCC receives your application BEFORE your current document expires you are in “maintained status” which allows you to continue studying until a decision has been made
    • If you allowed your study permit to expire and DID NOT apply for an extension before it expired you are out-of-status and MUST stop studying and working. You have 90 days from the time your permit expires to restore your status. You may remain in Canada until a decision is made. 
  • My study permit authorizes me to work on/off campus, do I still need a co-op permit for my work placement? Yes. The conditions allowing you to work off-campus attached to a study permit are NOT interchangeable with the requirement to fulfil a work placement related to your studies. It is mandatory that you apply and wait until you receive your co-op work permit before starting your placement/internship.
  • Can I still work on/off-campus? Yes, if you meet the on/off campus work eligibility requirements. Please refer to Working While Studying for more information
  • How do I obtain a SIN number? Social insurance numbers are issued by Service Canada. Please refer to Working While Studying for more information
  • What do I use for proof of a medical? If you undertook a medical check within the last 12 months by an IRCC affiliated panel physician overseas or in Canada, please upload your e-medical form if you have one or write a letter of explanation listing the date, city, country, doctor or clinic you went to. You can also call the IRCC Call Centre for other options to demonstrate proof. For IRCC affiliated panel physicians’ information, please refer to Find a Panel Physician.

Please note: if you have further questions: attend a co-op permit workshop or contact an International Student Advisor.

  • What is a UCI? UCI is your “Unique Client Identifier” or “Client ID” an 8 to 10 digit number found near the top of your study permit.
  • What am I applying for...? Select “An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer”.
  • What if I don’t have a family name? If you do not have a family name on your passport enter your given name(s) in this box and leave the given name box blank.
  • Current country of residence “from” and “to” date? “From” is the date you entered Canada as a student; “To” is the date your study permit expires.
  • What is a designated language testing agency? IELTS, CELPIP or TEF; answer “yes” even if your results have expired.
  • What is my Street No.? “Street no.” refers to “house number”.
  • What is a P.O. Box? A locked box that you can rent from the Post Office.
  • Which e-mail address? Use an email address you check frequently; check your junk/spam folders for messages.
  • What is meant by original entry date to Canada? The first time you came to Canada; if you came to Canada prior to studying you would enter that date and place (airport or land border).
  • Where can I find my document number? Your document number appears on the upper right hand corner of your study permit; generally it is one alpha letter followed by 9 numbers, e.g. F310234567.
  • How do I complete the details for prospective employer? Humber acts as your employer; use the contact information for Humber.
  • What should I put as my job title? Brief description of duties? For your job title type “student intern”. Under “description of duties” you can type “mandatory internship/duties as assigned”.
  • Duration of employment? “From” count the number of days for processing based on current IRCC processing times and enters that date; “To” is the expiry date on your study permit.
  • How do I respond to the “Education” question? Answer “yes”; type in Humber’s information unless you earned a higher credential from another school; under “field and level of study” answer both portions of this question.
  • If I’ve never worked what should I enter under the "employment" section? If you have never been employed, type in that you are a student and include Humber’s information; if you are, or have been employed in the past include that information here including any employment outside of Canada.
  • Do I need to complete the "Background Information” section? This is a mandatory section. If you answer “yes” to any of the questions you need to provide an explanation.
  • How do I sign the application form? If you are submitting an online application type your name in the signature section; for paper applications you must physically sign documents.
  • When I validated the form a series of red boxes appeared, what do I do? The red boxes indicate that you have either neglected to complete a field or the formatting of the answer is incorrect. Make the correction(s), validate again and save the document. Once the system confirms the application is okay a sixth page filled with bar codes will appear, this is part of your application and needs to be submitted.


For further details and to see your eligibility for applying to this co-op work permit, please visit the Government of Canada website.

If you have further questions, attend a co-op work permit workshop or contact us.