Skip to content


Question: Do you require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to come to Canada?

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.

Question: Is your Study Permit going to expire within the next 90 days?

We recommend that you begin the process of extending your study permit now; you can begin by collecting all of your supporting documents. From Humber, you will need:

  • Confirmation of Enrollment letter
  • Official Academic Transcript

Extend your study permit >

Request these documents through MyHumber >

Tip: Study permit going to expire before you complete your studies?

Set a reminder on a calendaring tool (e.g., Your phone or agenda) 90 days before it expires.

Remember: you MUST have a valid Study Permit (i.e., your study permit must not have expired) in order to continue studying.

Question: Do you have a mandatory work placement, internship or co-op?

Apply for your Co-Op Work Permit >

Question: I’m looking for a job off campus. Do I need specific approval from the Canadian government?

You may be eligible to work off campus if you have an off-campus work permit, authorization to work letter (issued by CIC) or meet the following criteria:

  • Have a valid study permit that gives you authorization to work
  • Be a full-time student in a program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is six months in length or longer

If the above applies you are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week during the regular academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

Important Information: You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (i.e., if you are no longer a full-time student during an academic session.)

Does your Study Permit give you authorization to work off campus?

If you have authorization to work, then your next step is to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

You will need the following documents when applying for a SIN:

  • Original Passport &
  • Original Study Permit that indicates you are authorized to work


  • Original Study Permit and On-Campus Employment Contract


  • Original Study Permit and Original Co-Op Work Permit

Read more >

Question: I’m graduating. What should I know?

Hopefully when your study permit was issued it gave you an additional 90 days after your last day of class. If not, we strongly advise you extend your study permit to allow time to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). 

In order to apply for your PGWP you will require your:

  • Confirmation of Graduation
  • Final Transcript (the transcript must say Credential Awarded to be considered your final transcript).

These documents are typically available 5-6 weeks after the last day of class; you will be notified by email when the documents are available.

Learn more about the eligibility requirements for the PGWP and the length of the work permit you are eligible to receive.

Important Information: Your study permit must still be valid when you apply for a PGWP.

Tip: Citizenship and Immigration Canada provides processing times for all of their application types online (e.g., study permit, work permit, temporary resident visa). Become familiar with this page and check it frequently, as it is updated weekly. Read more >