Skip to content


Canadian immigration laws are always subject to change. For the most up-to-date information, please refer to the official website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The website was prepared by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Immigration laws and procedures change frequently, and so the requirements and procedure for applying for your study permit may have changed. This page was updated on July 08, 2022. This page is intended for students of Humber College; the information contained herein may not be applicable to students at other academic institutions.


  • Go to IRCC website; click button for language preference
  • Click on the “Immigration” drop-down menu; chose “Study”
  • Click “Extend your study permit” and then “How to extend your permit”

Summary of Application Procedure

  • Determine how you will apply. IRCC requires online applications; paper applications are only open to those who experience technical issues or have disability
  • Complete application form IMM 5709. You need to click on hyperlink, download the form and open the form with advanced Adobe version
  • Gather and scan supporting documents
  • Create MyCIC account
  • Pay processing fee
  • Submit application for processing; if you submit an online application monitor the email account you specified on your application (including spam and junk folders) in case IRCC has a query about your application; these messages are time sensitive
  • When you receive your permit please upload a copy via your MyHumber account.


The Study Permit extension application can only be submitted from inside Canada. The process can be summarized in the following 4 steps:

Step 1: Initiate your application.

  • Log into your IRCC account. If you do not have an IRCC account, you can follow the link to create one.
  • Once logged in, scroll down and click on “Apply to Come to Canada”
  • Under “I do not have a Personal Reference Code”, click on “Determine your eligibility and apply online”, then click on “Visitor visa, study and/or work permit”

Step 2: Complete the Eligibility questionnaire (see next tab).

Step 3: Gather and upload all documents. See the “Documents” tab.

Step 4: Pay application fee of $150 and submit. If you are required to complete your Biometrics, the Biometric fee is $85.


To start the Eligibility Questionnaire:

  • Log into your IRCC account.
  • On the main account page, scroll down and click on “Apply to Come to Canada”
  • Under “I do not have a Personal Reference Code”, click on “Determine your eligibility and apply online”, then click on “Visitor visa, study and/or work permit”

This will initiate the following Eligibility Questionnaire:

  • What would you like to do in Canada? Study
  • How long are you planning to stay in Canada? Temporarily – more than 6 months
  • What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada. *NOTE: You cannot apply for a Study Permit extension from outside Canada.
  • Family Member questions Click on hyperlink for definition of a family member
  • On the “Your results” page select “Study Permit (in Canada)”
  • Do you also want to apply for a work permit? Answer "yes" if you require a co-op work permit
  • Review your answers To modify responses click on the “pencil & eraser” icon

If you want to learn in detail, watch the video guide on our Blackboard site. Our pre-recorded webinar covers the questionnaire in detail.

Click on the “Documents” tab to read about the next steps of your application.


After you have completed the Eligibility Questionnaire (see previous tab), your application page will be created on your IRCC account. You can access this application at any time within the next 60 days.

Here you will upload all required documents before you pay and submit the:

Required Forms:

  • IMM 5709 – A link for this should be available on your account. After you complete the eligibility questionnaire. When you download IMM 5709 it is important to go to the folder where it is saved and open it with Adobe Reader.

Required Documents:

  • Passport
    • Current Passport (personal information page and any pages with stamps and visas)
    • Valid Study Permit and Co-op Work Permit (if available)
  • Letter of Acceptance
    • Confirmation of Enrolment (COE-MyHumber > Student > Student Records > Confirmation of Enrolment/Graduation > click on the most recent semester). Please ensure the Expected Grad Date on your COE is accurate. If it is not or it shows “N/A”, let us know on
    • Letter of Acceptance – Needed if you are starting a new program after your current program
    • Transcript. Please refer to Humber Transcript for how to request one
  • Proof of Finances
    • Bank Statements, proof of education loans, proof of tuition payment, pay stubs from your part-time employer. All documents - merged in 1 PDF file
      *Note: If the bank statement is not under your name, you also need to provide a Letter of Support from the account holder to specify their intention to support you financially while you are in Canada as a student. The letter must be written by them, dated and signed. Please ensure they include your full name, Humber N#, college name, program name and study dates.
    • Humber College Receipt (found on MyHumber > Student > Student Account & Fees > Account Detail for Term/Humber College Receipt)
  • Co-op Letter
    • Your Co-op letter can be found on page 3 of your offer letter that you originally received from Humber College. You need this if you are applying for your co-op work permit along with your study permit. If your Co-op Letter is older than 4 months, please request a new letter via and we can issue a letter with a recent date for you.
  • Digital Photo
    • A scan or digital version of a passport size photo. See the government of Canada website for photo specifications.
  • Proof of medical exam (if applicable):
    • A medical exam may be required depending on your country of residence in the past 12 months and your program of study. Your medical exam results are valid for 12 months once it is done. Learn more about a medical exam.

Optional Document:

  • Client Information
    • Letter of explanation – While this is an optional document, we recommend all students to write one. To summarize their application and to share any information with the visa officer that was not addressed via the documents and/or application forms.


A valid Study Permit is required for anyone studying in Canada for longer than six months. Since most Humber programs are one year in length or more, this becomes a mandatory requirement for most international students. Your Study Permit should be valid for the entire duration of your program. If your study permit is due to expire before you complete your program, you will need to apply for an extension to be able to continue studying in Canada. As long as you're a student, you must not let your study permit expire!

Being Compliant

If you have a study permit, it is extremely important to remember that you are expected to actively pursue your studies and make reasonable progress towards completion.

These enrolment statuses are considered “actively pursuing studies”:

  • Full-time studies
  • Part-time studies (Note that the on-campus or off-campus work authorization and Post-graduation work permit may be impacted by a part-time course load, please contact an ISA for more information)
  • Scheduled breaks
  • The following select gaps in studies that are up to a maximum length of 150 days:
    • An authorized leave from Humber College (students who intend to take a leave due to medical, family emergency and military service etc. need to contact the International Centre to review your eligibility to take an authorized leave). Please also check IRCC for more information regarding authorized leave.
    • A switch in programs or institutions (whether you completed the program or not)
    • A pause in studies due to a strike or permanent closure

IRCC also requires you to remain enrolled and make reasonable progress towards the completion of your studies. You are welcome to change your major, program or in some cases your academic institution during your time in Canada. However, an officer may request additional information to ensure your intention for being in Canada is to study.

If you do not comply with the above conditions, it could jeopardize your status in Canada. Academic institutions, such as Humber College, are required to report on your enrolment and academic status to IRCC; so it is important that you follow the rules and stay in compliance.

Extending your Study Permit

You can apply for your study permit extension if you are inside Canada. We recommend students to apply 3 to 4 months before the date of expiry on their current study permit.

It is important that you possess a valid study permit; a study permit gives you status in Canada. If your study permit will expire less than 90 days following the completion of your program, we recommend you to extend it because you will not receive proof of program completion for approximately five to six weeks after your final semester. 

Your study permit will become invalid 90 days after the completion of your program or on the expiry date of your Study Permit – whichever comes first.

Check study permit processing times of a study permit extension on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website.

Click on the “Procedure” tab above to get started on your study permit extension application, if you are inside Canada.

If you are outside Canada:

You cannot apply for a study permit extension from outside Canada, you can only apply for a new permit. While Humber does not advise on study permit applications made from outside Canada, IRCC has a detailed country-specific guide for Study Permit applications.



Application Form: 
Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay Or Remain In Canada As A Student (IMM5709)

Application fees: $150
Biometrics fees: $ 85 if applicable

Designated Learning Institution #: 

  • Humber (North, Lakeshore, International Graduate School): O19376943122
  • Guelph Humber “O19305391192”

IRCC Call Centre #: 



What is a UCI?
UCI is your "Unique Client Identifier" or "Client ID" an 8 or 10 digit number found near the top of your study permit.

I am applying for….?
Select "Apply for a study permit for the first time or extend my study permit" for study permit extension.

What if I don’t have a family name?
If you do not have a family name on your passport enter your given name(s) in this box and leave the given name box blank.

Current country of residence “from” and “to” date?
“From” is the date you entered Canada as a student; “To” is the date of your study permit expires.

What is a designated language testing agency?
IELTS, CELPIP or TEF; answer "yes" even if your results have expired.

What is my Street No.?
"Street no." is equivalent to "house number".

What is a P.O. Box?
A locked box that you can rent from the Post Office.

Which e-mail address?
Use an email address you check frequently; check your junk/spam folders for messages.

What is meant by original entry date to Canada?
The first time you came to Canada; if you came to Canada prior to studying you would enter that date and place (airport or land border).

Where can I find my document number?
Your document number appears on the upper right hand corner of your study permit; generally it is one alpha letter followed by 9 numbers, e.g. F310234567.

What should enter for my "duration of expected study"?
"From" is the date you are completing the form; "To" is the completion date of your studies + 90 days allowing you sufficient time to receive your final grades and apply for a post-graduation work permit.

How do I respond to the "Education" question?
Answer "yes"; type in Humber’s information unless you earned a higher credential from another school; under "field and level of study" answer both portions of this question.

If I’ve never worked what should I enter under the "employment" section?
If you have never been employed, type that you are a student and include Humber’s information; if you are, or have been employed in the past include that information here including any employment in your home country.

Do I need to complete the "Background Information” section?
This is a mandatory section. If you answer "yes" to any of the questions you need to provide an explanation.

How do I sign the application form?
If you are submitting an online application type your name in the signature section; for paper applications you must physically sign documents.

When I validated the form a series of red boxes appeared, what do I do?
The red boxes indicate that you have either neglected to complete a field or the formatting of the answer is incorrect. Make the correction(s), validate again and save the document. Once the system confirms the application is acceptable, a sixth page filled with bar codes will appear, this is part of your application and needs to be submitted.


What if my study permit expires?

  • If IRCC receives your application BEFORE your current document expires you are under “maintained status” which allows you to continue studying until a decision has been made. Your maintained status will remain as long as you are inside Canada. If you leave Canada while the application is being processed, you will lose your maintained status.
  • If your study permit expired and you DID NOT apply for an extension before it expired, you are out-of-status and MUST stop studying and working. You have 90 days from the time your permit expired to restore your status. You may remain in Canada until a decision is made. You cannot resume your studies until you receive a new study permit. Learn more:

Do I need to notify IRCC if I change post-secondary institutions?
Yes. Log on to your IRCC account; under the "What would you like to do today"? click on "Transfer from DLI#”. If the IRCC website does not permit you to complete the form use the IRCC web form to notify them of the change in school.

If I graduated from a Canadian secondary/high school can I use the same study permit?
You can begin your program at Humber College using the same study permit. However, you will need to apply for an extension of your Study Permit to ensure it is valid for the entire duration of your Humber College program.

Can I work off-campus?
Yes, if you meet the following conditions:

    • You are enrolled as a full-time student in an eligible program at the college (English for Academic Purpose studies are not eligible to work off-campus), or
    • You are enrolled as a part-time student in the last semester of your studies and you don’t need a full course load to complete your program, and you were enrolled as a full-time student in your program up until the last semester, and
    • You have a valid study permit, which states you "may work" or "may accept employment" on or off campus
    • You have a valid Social Insurance Number
  • If you meet the conditions to work, you can amend your study permit if there are no remarks made regarding on-campus and off-campus work. A guide to amend the condition on your study permit can be seen on the IRCC website. You can contact an ISA for alternative solution via
  • If it states you cannot work, then you must apply to change the conditions of the study permit. Please follow the procedure for the study permit extension.

What do I use for proof of a medical?
If you undertook a medical by IRCC approved panel physicians in the past 12 months, you should upload your e-medical form if you have one or write a letter of explanation listing the date, city, country, physician or clinic you went to. You can also call the IRCC Call Centre for other options to demonstrate proof.

Can I travel with my study permit?
No. It is important to note that a study permit alone does not allow you to travel in and out of Canada. Please review your travel documents (i.e., Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization) to ensure you have valid documents to re-enter Canada. While a TRV or eTA allows you to enter Canada, the study permit allows you to remain in Canada as a student.

Depending on your citizenship, you may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada when you first arrive, and re-enter Canada when you travel during your studies.


If you have further questions: attend a study permit workshop or contact us.