Skip to content


Canadian Income Taxes & International Students

The International Centre does not have any tax experts on staff and is not able to advise on income tax questions. However, we do want to provide information to help you understand the Canadian tax system and what you should do.

Do international students need to file taxes?

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is responsible for administering tax programs in Canada. It has created a video series to explain Canada’s taxation system and answer important questions such as “Do international students have to file taxes?”. Click here to access the video series.  

The CRA also has information for international students on this page.

What documents do students need from Humber?

Each person’s tax situation will be different. However, all Humber students should download a T2202A form from their MyHumber account. Keep a copy of this form.

Tip #1: Make sure that your browser allows pop-up windows. Otherwise, the T2202A form will not appear.

Tip #2: If you are no longer a Humber student and/or are unable to access your MyHumber account, please contact the Registrar’s Office by e-mailing

If you are currently living in Residence on campus, then you should read this information as well.

What about students who start in January?

The income tax year follows the calendar year (January to December). If you were not in Canada before January 1, you will not need to file a tax return for the previous year.

Can someone help in person?

The HSF partners with CRA to offer community income tax clinics in March-April. Appointment bookings will open online.

Please direct all questions about this program to the HSF.

If you aren’t able to use HSF’s services, you may be able to receive support through another community tax program in the city. Please see here for a list of other options.

Is there anything else international students should know?

Beware of phone scams by fraudsters pretending to be the CRA, or police officers, and making threats. The CRA typically communicates by mail (post), or through its online system. Read this news story and the CRA instructions to protect yourself against fraud.