Skip to content
  • Two students working on a project


After graduating from a program that meets the necessary requirements, you can apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which may be issued for a duration equivalent to the length of your program or up to a maximum of three years.

It is important to begin the application process as soon as possible after receipt of your graduation documents, because processing times can be lengthy at times.

Graduation documents are typically available from Humber four to six weeks after the end of a semester. For example, students who complete their program in April should expect to receive graduation documents in early June. 

How to Apply For a Post Graduation Work Permit

You will need:

  • Final Transcript
  • Proof of Graduation Letter
  • Other documents as specified by CIC
  • Payment of processing fees


Apply when you receive your graduation documents.

Examples of these include your final transcript and confirmation of graduation letter. You have 90 days from the generation of these documents to apply.

Application Form:

Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay Or Remain In Canada As A Worker (IMM5710)


$155 + $100 (processing + open work permit fee)

Designated Learning Institution #: 

  • Humber “O19376943122”
  • Guelph Humber “O19305391192”

CIC Call Centre #: 


Supporting Documents

Humber/Guelph Humber issued:

  • Confirmation of graduation letter
  • Final transcript 

General Supporting Documents (additional documents may be required)

  • Copy of your passport (include main page, any stamps, visas or markings)
  • Valid Study Permit
  • Digital photo required for online applications 


Basic Overview


Online Application Procedure


Paper Application Procedure


Basic Overview

  • Go to CIC website
  • Click “Study”
  • Click “Work while/after your study”
  • Select “Work in Canada after graduation” for eligibility requirements
  • Determine how you will apply (look at processing times)
    • Online application = completing online eligibility questionnaire & creating MyCIC account
    • Paper application = downloading application package & sending package via courier company
  • Complete Application IMM 5710; depending on your computer’s operating system you may have to click on hyperlink, download the form to your computer’s desktop to open document
  • Compile supporting documents (scan documents if applying online)
  • Create MyCIC account; required for online applications; platform to upload application form & documents; check messages
  • Pay processing and open work permit fee $255
  • Submit application for processing

Online Application Procedure

Create a MyCIC Account (required for online applications)

  • Create account using Sign in Partner or GC Key
    • Sign in Partner allows you to register for MyCIC account using online banking information for listed financial institutions
    • GCKey requires a user ID and password; create security questions; record this information so you do not forget
  • Enroll for your MyCIC account
  • Scroll down to“What would you like to do today?” then click on “Visitor visa, study and/or work permit”
  • The next screen will ask if you have a “Personal Checklist Code” enter the number generated when you completed the eligibility questionnaire
  • Upload documents; upload one file per category;
    • Application form IMM5710
    • Final transcript and Confirmation of Graduation letter
    • Passport or travel document (include main page, any stamps, visas or markings); copy of previous study permit, also include copy of work permit if applicable
    • Proof of medical exam if requested
  • Pay processing fee and Submit application; you will receive a confirmation that application was sent
  • Check your MyCIC account messages for updates related to your application

Paper Application Procedure

  • Download the application package 
  • Complete application and appropriate accompanying forms; sign and date application; make a copy for your records
  • Use Canada Post Xpress Post or other courier company to track delivery of application package
  • Mail package to:

New student work permit application
Citizenship and Immigration - Work Permit
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 555
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6

Tips For Completing Eligibility Questionaire

“Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?”

What would you like to do in Canada?

How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily – more than 6 months

What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.

Family Member questions
Click on hyperlink for definition of a family member

What is your current immigration status in Canada?

Do you plan to work on campus?

Are you a full-time student at a participating post-secondary institution and want to work off-campus up to 20 hours per week?

Have you recently graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution for which your study program was full-time and a minimum of eight months?

Is your work an essential part of your studies (for example, a Co-Op or internship program)?

Do you have a written job offer?
No. Not required it is just mandatory that you apply

Which document have you received stating that you have completed all the requirements for your program of study?
Final transcript

“Your results” page select “Post-Graduate Work Permit”; if “Temporary Resident Visa’ appears as an option students who require a TRV apply for a new one AFTER they receive their work permit

Review your answers. To modify responses click on the “pencil & eraser” image

Frequently Asked Questions

What if my study permit expires?

  • If CIC receives your application before your current document expires you are in “implied status” which allows you to work until a decision is made; to work you must have permission to work off campus stated on your study permit or possess an off- campus work permit or CIC letter authorizing you to work off campus
  • If you allowed your study permit to expire and did NOT apply for an extension before it expired you are out-of-status and MUST stop studying and working. You have 90 days from the time your permit expires to restore your status. You may remain in Canada until a decision is made.

Can I work while I am waiting for the post grad permit?

Once you have applied for your work permit you can work full-time as long as you still hold a valid study permit, studied full-time, previously did not exceed the number of hours permissible for working off-campus or during regular scheduled breaks and are awaiting a decision on your post-graduation work permit. (w)

How do I obtain a SIN number?

Social insurance numbers are issued by Service Canada. Take passport, study permit, work permit (if necessary) and confirmation of enrolment letter


What is a UCI?
UCI is your “Unique Client Identifier” or “Client ID” an 8 digit number found near the top of your study permit.

I am applying for….?
Select “An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer”.

What if I don’t have a family name?
If you do not have a family name on your passport enter your given name(s) in this box and leave the given name box blank.

Current country of residence “from” and “to” date?
“From” is the date you entered Canada. “To” is the expiry date of your study permit.

What is a designated language testing agency
IELTS, TOEFL or TEF; even if your results have expired answer “yes” if you took one of these exams.

What is my Street No.?
“Street no.” refers to “house number”.

What is a P.O. Box?
A locked box found that the Post Office that you rent.

E-mail address?
Use an email address you check frequently; check your junk/spam folders frequently incase a CIC generated is not directed to your inbox.

What is meant by original entry date to Canada?
The first time you came to Canada; if you came to Canada prior to studying you would enter that date and place.

Where can I find my document number?
Your document number appears on the upper right hand corner of your study permit; generally it is one alpha letter followed by 9 numbers, e.g. F310234567.

Duration of expected employment?
“From” is the date you are completing the form; “To” is estimated length of your work permit e.g. 8 months, 12 months or 3 years based on length of your academic program

Do I require a LMIA?
No; students applying for a post graduation work permit are exempt from this criteria

How do I respond to the “Education” question?
Answer “yes”; type in Humber’s information unless you already have a degree or diploma; under “field and level of study” answer both portions of this question

If I’ve never worked what should I enter under the “employment” section?
If you have never been employed, type in that you are a student and include Humber’s information; if you are, or have been employed in the past include that information here including any employment in your home country

Do I need to complete the “Background Information” section?
This is a mandatory section. If you answer “yes” to any of the questions you need to provide an explanation.

How do I sign the application form?
If you are submitting an online application simply type your name in the signature section; for paper applications you must physically sign documents

When I validated the form a series of red boxes appeared, what do I do?
The red boxes indicate that you either have neglected to complete a field or the formatting of the answer is incorrect. Make the correction(s) and validate again and save the document. Once the system confirms the application is okay a 6th page filled with bar codes will appear, this is part of your application and needs to be submitted.

What do I use for proof of a medical?
If you underwent a medical by a CIC affiliated doctor overseas upload your e-medical form if you have one or write a letter of explanation listing the date, city, country, doctor or clinic you went to. You can also call the CIC Call Centre for other options to demonstrate proof.

Find a Job in Canada

International students can visit the Humber Career Centre to see job postings and for help with resumé writing, cover letter reviews, and mock job interviews.


If you have further questions, attend a co-op work permit workshop or contact an international student advisor.