Skip to content


You have received your letter of acceptance and you are preparing to come to Canada. There are three key steps you must have completed:

  1. Confirm your spot in your program by fax or through your MyHumber account. This is important as many Humber programs fill very quickly. If you do not confirm that you are accepting your offer you run the risk of the offer being withdrawn. The confirmation deadline can be found on the blue “Confirmation of Acceptance” form found in your acceptance package.
  2. Apply for your Canadian immigration documents, i.e., study permit and a temporary resident visa and eTA (if required) as soon as you receive your acceptance letter. Your application can be made at the nearest Canadian embassy, consulate or high commission. The process can vary from days to months depending on the country you are applying from and whether you require a medical or police background check. You must have the study permit before starting your studies. For details on how to apply for your study permit and temporary resident visa (if required) please go to Study Permits and Canadian Immigration and Citizenship.
  3. Pay your tuition fees. The fees payment deadline is stated on your letter of acceptance. Unfortunately if your fees are not paid by this date you run the risk of losing your spot in the program.

What's Next?

  1. Arrange for a place to stay. If you are not planning on living with your family or friends there are three housing options available to you: student residence, off-campus housing or homestay. 
    • The student residence fills quickly so if you are interested in living on-campus you will need to send us your application as soon as you are accepted to Humber.
    • There are a number of off-campus housing options and they all vary in price. To see what sort of places are currently available to rent please see places4students and viewit. You must keep in mind how far your new home is from your campus and figure out your transportation routes and the cost and length of your daily commute as this can have a big impact on your overall experience.
    • Homestay is an option that is great for students who want to improve their English. In homestay, you live with a Canadian family and receive two to three meals a day (included in the price). If you are interested in this option, you should apply directly to homestay services.
    • Once you receive permission from Canadian Immigration to study at Humber, you should book your flight to Canada right away. Orientation runs from January 2nd to January 4th which is the week prior to classes. The International Student Welcome is on January 2nd.
  2. Request your student photo ID card. Your MyHumber account is your pass to all sorts of college services and functions. To order your ID simply upload a picture of yourself and the Registrar's Office will mail your card (be sure to have updated MyHumber with your new local address). If your account still has an overseas address, your card will be sent to the International Office until you arrive. 
  3. Register for your academic orientation session as well as the international student session.
  4. It might be wise to arrange for travelers’ insurance if you plan on arriving in Canada before classes start. Remember, your coverage begins on the first day of classes, NOT from the day you arrive in Canada.
  5. For students enrolled in the School of Health Sciences, School of Social & Community Services and certain School of Hospitality, Tourism & Recreation courses there may be additional requirements for your studies, such as first aid certificate, CPR qualifications, immunizations or even a police check. To find out what is required for your program go to your program's description and scroll to the bottom of the page to “additional requirements”.
  6. If you have on-going medical concerns you should bring any necessary documentation with you so that the doctors here can quickly assess your condition. You might also consider purchasing supplemental insurance for any costs that are not covered through the international student medical plan or through your extended health benefits (Humber Students Federation coverage).
  7. A new country can be quite disorienting, so prepare yourself as best you can be doing some research on Toronto and the neighbouring areas. Even so, it can sometimes feel kind of lonely when you first arrive, so be sure to bring a few reminders of home.
  8. Learn about travelling in Canada and living in Toronto. If you want to drive while in Canada you will need to bring your driver’s license with you and then apply for a Canadian one when you arrive.
  9. If you want to visit the United States, and many students do, we strongly urge you to apply for your US entry visa from your home country, as it's often easier to do that than obtain one from Canada.